The United Nations has set 17 goals to be achieved by 2030. These goals for sustainable development are intended to apply to developed and developing nations alike. Each goal includes several targets, which break the overall goal down into more manageable areas of endeavor. It remains up to each country, each community, each person how they will choose to make these targets reality.
In the Ethical Society of Austin, we will initially be using the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to help us focus our ethical actions in 2017. As we hone in on the goals that our members democratically select as our priorities for the year, we will work to educate ourselves about the issues, work collectively toward change and solutions. As our capacity allows, we will address our priorities by living, giving, serving, and advocating.
To learn more about the SDGs you can review the list below and click on the links to download a PDF that tells you more about the goal and its targets. When looking at the SDGs, remember that you are thinking globally (these being global goals), but we will (mostly) be acting locally (how can we respond to these targets in Central Texas?). You can also download the UN’s report, Transforming Our World, here.
United Nations Sustainable Development Goals for 2030
- No Poverty: End poverty in all its forms everywhere.
- Zero Hunger: End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture.
- Good Health and Well-Being: Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages.
- Quality Education: Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.
- Gender Equality: Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls.
- Clean Water and Sanitation: Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all.
- Affordable and Clean Energy: Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all.
- Decent Work and Economic Growth: Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all.
- Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure: Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation.
- Reduced Inequalities: Reduce inequality within and among countries.
- Sustainable Cities and Communities: Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable.
- Responsible Consumption and Production: Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns.
- Climate Action: Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.
- Life Below Water: Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas, and marine resources for sustainable development.
- Life on Land: Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss.
- Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions: Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all, and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels.
- Partnerships for the Goals: Strengthen the means of implementations and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development.